DCASA will again participate in the Swim England Programmes County Pathway initiative launched in 2017, which aims to provide a consistent nationwide programme for the development of swimmers, coaches and team managers together with education opportunities for parents.
Counties are responsible for the development of swimmers aged 11 years (age as at 31 December) and club level Skills Coaches. The programme includes three one-day camps held in-County, co-ordinated by a County Lead and supported by a Lead Coach, six Skills coaches, and a Lead and Assistant Team Manager. England Programmes will appoint coaches and team managers in conjunction with County Associations. For the 2018 Dorset Programme, County Lead is Di Gibbs and Sam Woodward has been appointed Lead Coach.
A maximum of 36 swimmers will be selected and, where possible, equal numbers of males/females will be selected. The selection policy is as follows:
- The Swim England rankings database will be used for selection purposes. Only times achieved between 1 September 2017 and the Monday following the final County Championship weekend in 2018 will be considered.
- The highest ranked 11 year old Male and Female (age as at 31 December in the year of competition) in each event competed at County Championships will be initially selected.
- Further selections will be made from the 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc ranked swimmers.
- Where swimmers have an equal ranking, selections will be made prioritised according to the highest Fina Point Score in a single event.
- Selections are made from short course rankings only.
- Swimmer selections will be completed within one week of the completion of the County Championships.
- Swimmers and Home Coaches will be informed within two weeks of the completion of the County Championships.
- Swimmers must reply to confirm whether they will be accepting or declining their place on the programme within three weeks of the completion of the County Championships.
- Any reserve swimmers and their respective Home Coaches will then be informed within four weeks of the completion of the County Championships.
- All places on the programme must be filled and all paperwork returned by the end of March 2018, ready for the first camp of the programme which is scheduled to take place in April 2018.
Selected swimmers and appointed Skills Coaches are expected to attend all three development camps which are scheduled to take place at Canford Sports Centre on Sundays 15 April, 1 July and 30 September 2018.
Selected swimmers will be given a Dorset England Programmes swim hat and those attending all three camps will also be awarded a certificate.
The criterion for appointment of the Lead Coach for the Swim England Programmes County Pathway initiative is as follows:
- The post of Lead Coach is open to all Level 3 County coaches and will be appointed by the Dorset County ASA Swimming Technical Committee from expressions of interest received.
- The post of Lead Coach will be reviewed annually at the first meeting of the season of the Dorset County ASA Swimming Technical Committee.
- Appointment of Lead Coach will be rotated annually, as appropriate and as possible, as a requirement of succession planning for this post.