Dorset County ASA participates in the Swim England County Development Programme (CDP), which was first launched in 2017 as England Programmes and aims to provide a consistent nationwide development of swimmers, coaches and team managers together with education opportunities for parents. In 2023 the focus of this Programme was changed to the development of 12 year old swimmers (age as at 31 December) at county level.
The programme includes three camps all held in-County, co-ordinated by a County Lead and supported by a Lead Coach, Skills coaches, and a Team Manager. There will be three Camps as follows:
- Camp 1 – one-day pool event scheduled September-December (usually held during the Autumn half-term).
- Camp 2 – online education scheduled January-April.
- Camp 3 – one-day pool event scheduled May-August (usually held during the Spring half-term).
A maximum of 24-36 swimmers will be selected with a 50/50 split between swimmers with a January-June date of birth and those with a July-December date of birth where possible. Equal numbers of males/females will also be selected where possible. The selection policy is as follows:
- The Swim England long course/short course rankings database for Dorset will be used for selection purposes. Only times achieved between 1 January and the conclusion of the British Summer Championships and Swim England National Summer Meet of the current year will be taken into consideration.
- Initial selection will be made from rankings in 200m Individual Medley and thereafter 100m Individual Medley rankings may be taken into consideration. Where swimmers have an equal ranking, selections will be prioritised according to the highest FINA Point Score in a single event.
- In the event that 200m and 100m Individual Medley rankings do not produce sufficient results for selection, County rankings for 200m Freestyle, 200m Backstroke, 200m
Breaststroke and 200m Butterfly will be used for selection.
- Any exceptional short course performances in other events may be considered at the discretion of the CDP County Lead and Head Coach.
- Para-swimmers (up to six) may be selected nationally by the Swim England Talent Officers/Coaches and selections will be communicated to the respective county.
- Swimmers should not accept a place on the CDP unless prepared to fully commit to all aspects of the Programme; swimmers are expected to attend all camps.
The post of Lead Coach is open to all Level 3 County coaches and will be appointed by the Dorset County ASA Swimming Technical Committee from expressions of interest received. Skills Coaches will be recruited from expressions of interest received and all coaches are expected to attend all camps.
Dorset County ASA, 1 June 2023.