Team selection for the Dorset County Team is the responsibility of the Dorset Swimming Technical Committee (STC) and the team selection policy for the National County Team Championships is as follows.
- Swimmers will be selected from short course ranking data from the Swim England National Rankings, which has been achieved between the dates specified by the competition rules. Long course times may also be taken into consideration.
- For individual events 100m ranking data will be taken into consideration, and for relay events 50m ranking data.
- Swimmers will be selected to create the fastest team possible and may be selected for more than one individual event, or for a relay only as appropriate.
- Selection is subject to verification and appraisal of current form at the time of selection, according to the level of swimming activity and deemed competition fitness. If there is any doubt as to the fitness of a swimmer, Dorset County ASA has the right to exclude that swimmer from the team regardless of ranked time.
- Selected swimmers must travel as a team to the competition venue unless on medical grounds.
- Swimmers, coaches and team managers are expected to abide by the Dorset County ASA Code of Ethics and Code of Conduct at all times. Team staff will be in accordance with the Swim England Team Manager, Coach and Chaperone Policy 2023.
NOTE: Competition criteria and conditions may change annually but in general:
• Age as at 31 December
• No swimming out of age
• Team size controlled to 30 maximum
• Times to be submitted short-course
• Times must have been achieved within a specified window
• One coach allowed on poolside at any one time
The criterion for appointment of the Lead Coach and Assistant Coach for the National County Team Championships is as follows:
- The post of Lead Coach for the Dorset County Team is open to all Club Coach qualified Dorset coaches and will be appointed by the Dorset County ASA Swimming Technical Committee.
- The post of Assistant Coach for the Dorset County Team will be advertised to all Dorset clubs and open to all Dorset coaches with a minimum of an Assistant Swimming Coach qualification.
- The Assistant Coach will be selected by the Dorset County ASA Swimming Technical Committee from expressions of interest received.
- The posts of Lead Coach and Assistant Coach will be reviewed annually at the first meeting of the season of the Dorset County ASA Swimming Technical Committee.
- Appointment of Lead Coach and Assistant Coach will be rotated annually as appropriate and possible as a requirement of succession planning for these posts.